Medicos del Mundo (MdM) is an international humanitarian organisation whose mission is to provide medical care for the most vulnerable populations, the world over, including Spain. It seeks to stimulate voluntary commitment from doctors, other health care providers, and from those whose expertise in other fields is needed for its activities, to enlist all competent support required for the achievement of its projects, and to seek at all times to encourage close working relationships with populations in its care.
Under the direct supervision of the Field Coordinator (FieldCo) and technical guidance of the Medical Coordinator (MedCo), the Health Manager contributes in the design and implementation of MdM's medical activities in Bakhmut raion and other locations of Donetsk oblast.
The Health Manager carries following responsibilities:
- To assist FieldCo with the implementation of the general MdM medical activities in GCA according to plans, in coordination with MedCo and MH Coordinators.
- To ensure effective start-up, implementation and follow-up of the MdM operations in Donetsk oblast of NGCA.
- To provide supervision and technical support to the Health Officer on her/his daily tasks and ensure effective and efficient implementation of the outreach activities.
- To draft project-related guidance, standard operation procedures, modalities, terms of reference to ensure that planned interventions are structured and implemented according to MdM standards.
- To provide supervision and technical support to the MdM Outreach team (Mobile Unit) and Community Health Focal Points (CHFP) team on their daily tasks and ensure effective and efficient implementation of the planned activities.
- To seek any opportunities for identification of the best possible solution on integration MdM activities into the current system of public healthcare system.
- To ensure that all components of the program are consistent and in line with medical needs and standards, including identification and lead of effective Medical Referral system of the programme.
- To support the implementation of Monitoring and Evaluation systems, contributing to the development, analysis and implementation of data collection processes.
- Regular field visits for supervision and monitoring and evaluation of project implementation.
- To communicate regularly and effectively with the FieldCo, MedCo and MHCo through relevant communication channels.
- Lead various technical assessments in the field, develop relevant tools for data collection processes.
- To contribute to the development of concept notes/proposals/donor updates as well as organizational strategies and approaches.
- To support, coach and mentor the Medical staff for the effective implementation of health department activities.
- To analyse data collecting by outreach team and ensure timely and quality reporting of Health team;
- To provide recommendations/instructions on Mobile Unit and CHFPs' work on regular basis through various channels (base meeting, MU meeting etc).
- To inform FieldCo of the staffing issue within health team.
- To organise and co-chair regular MdM MU coordination meeting.
Capacity building support
- To support the Capacity Building activities through development a capacity building plan, curriculum and content of trainings.
- To provide constant assistance and capacity building opportunities for the staff of public health system in the raion.
- To plan, conduct and evaluate various training activities in close coordination with the Health Officer.
- To provide quality and evidence-based support Health Officer for the adequate implementation of all the capacity building component and make evaluation of the quality of trainings.
Technical assistance for the field operations
- To participate to the recruitment of medical local staff for the mobile units.
- To support the team in the implementation of MdM Health Guidelines and procedures as well as the introduction of International Diseases Classifications.
- To coordinate with FieldCo and LogCo on movement requests for field operations.
- To establish a regular communication with Mobile Unit team to improve the project performance and address the needs identified by MU team in the field.
- To ensure timely and quality reporting of MdM Health staff and CFPs.
- To coordinate technical visits and hold regular meetings with MedCo and MHCo with prior agreement of FieldCo.
- To coordinate and work together with MedCo, Technical Support Officer and Health Officer for the supply of drugs, equipment and consumables for MUs and donations.
Coordination with NGOs, local associations
- To maintain regular contacts with other medical NGOs and organizations, through meetings, training, workshops, etc.
- To attend regular Health Cluster meetings at field level if MedCo are not attending.
- To ensure coordination and communication with health partners and MdM project partners in collaboration with liaison officer.
- To provide a short summary of meetings attended.
Management of medical stock and logistic chain for medical purchase
- To ensure MUs have adequate equipment, material & medication to function.
- If needed, with the support of the Health officer, MedCo, analyse medication consumption follow-up and needs' forecasting.
- If needed, to supervise the pharmacy activities in terms of quality of storage conditions in collaboration with Logistics department and management (consumptions, orders & inventory).
- To analyse morbidity reports on weekly basis before submitting to MedCo.
- To analyse the medical data on a regular basis and set up corrective measures in coordination with FieldCo, and MedCo.
- To provide weekly and monthly reports to the FieldCo and MedCo, detailing activities done, supervision, training given, assessments undertaken etc.
- To follow up health program issues and sharing of information with MedCo and FieldCo.
- Perform other additional duties on request of FieldCo.
Hierarchical and Functional links
- Hierarchical link: FieldCo
- Technical link: MedCo
- Functional link: MedCo, MHCo, Health Officer, MU.
- Medical Doctor with a relevant background on health studies.
- Experience working with NGOs (3 years at least)
- Knowledge of public health issues and project cycle management
- Experience in outbreak management and emergency response specially on Non-communicable diseases.
- Knowledge of Ukrainian policy and national guidelines.
- Experience in working and meeting with local authorities, partners and staff in a tricky context
- Ability to have a global overview of a program
Personal skills required:
- Ability to take quick decisions according to the context in coordination with the team
- Diplomacy and Organizational skills
- Reactivity, anticipation, adaptability, capacity to take initiatives
- Ability to analyze and write strategic documents in English
- Good writing and communication skills
- Team work spirit and Gender sensitive
Language and computer skills:
- English advanced (written and oral)
- Ukrainian and Russian fluent (speaking and writing)
- Excellent knowledge of office tools (MS Word, MS Excel, PowerPoint)
- Fixed term contract until the 31/12/2020 with possible extension (depends on successful performance and availability of funds).
- Medical insurance.
- Full -time job
- Location: Bakhmut, Donetsk oblast
Position will be filled on an ongoing basis
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be invited to the interview.