Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH is seeking for the project U-LEAD with Europe: Ukraine – Local Empowerment, Accountability and Development Programme a qualified staff member to fill the position of a Local Development Advisor (Kyiv, full time).
U-LEAD with Europe: Ukraine – Local Empowerment, Accountability and Development Programme’ is a multi-donor action of the European Union and its member states Germany, Sweden, Denmark, Poland, Estonia and Slovenia which supports the efforts of the Ukrainian government in the area of decentralisation and regional development. Ukraine has put decentralisation and regional development as a top priority on its political agenda. The reform aims at promoting a viable local self-government and thus bringing a positive change to the people’s life.
Area of responsibilities:
- Designing, implementing and monitoring capacity development measures (including digital ones), pilot initiatives, etc. related to the local (primarily targeting municipalities) economic development (small and medium enterprise (SME) support, business-friendly municipality, rural development).
- Analysing policy, Programme and public initiatives developments related to the assignment and prepare high-quality briefs.
- Proactively establishing and maintaining cooperation with various stakeholders.
- Ensuring compliance with GIZ standards and rules in all aspects of the Programme.
- Providing technical advice to GIZ team members and partners in the fields related to the local economic development.
- Contributing to planning, monitoring & evaluation as well as reporting.
- Initiates, designs, implements & monitors capacity development measures for municipalities (primarily) related to local economic development, including via digital tools.
- Proactively supports (providing advice) implementing partners and municipalities in implementing activities ensuring content quality and adherence to GIZ rules and procedures.
- Incorporates cross-cutting issues (such as gender equality, integrity, etc.) into capacity development measures.
- Drafts high-quality reports analysing policy developments in the field related to the assignment, this might involve data analysis.
- Coordinates the work of national and international experts.
- Organises capacity development & networking events.
- Contributes to the overall knowledge and data management; systematically files and maintain document management in accordance with GIZ standards.
- Manages cooperation, ensuring a regular contact and dialogue with relevant internal and external stakeholders to maintain good working relationships.
- Complies with GIZ rules and standards.
- Performs other duties and tasks at the request of management.
- MA degree in the field of international relations, public administration/management, business administration, economics, finance or other relevant fields.
- 4 years of professional work experience related to the design and implementation of activities in the field of local economic development (small and medium enterprise (SME) support, business-friendly municipality, rural development).
- Work experience in the public administration and/or international organisations and/or NGOs.
- Previous experience in designing and/or implementing capacity development measures at the municipal level (preferably small municipalities).
- Previous experience in data analysis and conducing research on the related topics.
- Previous experience in designing (and delivering) capacity development measures via digital formats/instruments.
- Knowledge of SME and/or rural development – related legislation.
- Sound understanding of SME support particularities at the local level; knowledge of business-related infrastructure is an asset.
- Understanding and interest in current reform agenda, especially related to the local self-government (decentralisation) and regional policy reforms.
- Excellent knowledge of MS Office and digital facilitation instruments.
- Knowledge of data analysis software will be considered as an asset.
- Professional proficiency in English and Ukrainian.
- Outstanding organizational and time management skills, ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously, solve problems, manage and meet deadlines and maintain a high quality of work.
- Reliability, confidentiality, flexibility and stress resistance.
- High degree of loyalty, self-organization and motivation.
- Team player with intercultural communication skills and service-oriented attitude.
- Work experience with GIZ and/or other international organisations is an asset.
- Readiness for frequent business trips to different locations within Ukraine (once the quarantine restrictions are lifted).
Starting as soon as possible. Full-time position with 40-hours working week. The contract duration is until the end of December 2023.
The application in English, comprising your CV and a cover letter explaining your motivation to apply for the job is to be sent until COB 6 May 2021, Thursday.
GIZ is an equal opportunity employer and offers an attractive and challenging working environment with opportunities for skill enhancement.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for the next stages of the recruitment process.